FIRST AND FOREMOST: Remember that in the Philippines, you are not just “courting” the daughter, you are courting the entire family, and in almost all cases, they will have to “approve” of you to their daughter! What you want more than anything as early as possible, is for the family to declare you as “mabait”. (Good and Generous).
SECONDLY: Filipino People, especial Filipina, are very loving and romantic! So before you even go there, put aside the “me, me, me, attitude that 90% of we Americans have and remember, the following is ALL ABOUT HER!! (Trust me, in putting HER and her FAMILY first… YOU will be the biggest beneficiary! You will be the Knight in Shining Armor, and if all is timed and executed as described below, you will have the lady of your life, a great meal, and be shaking hands with one of the greatest entertainers in the world! A Singer who fills concert halls throughout the world, especially here in California.
Why do I have to remind you that IT’S ALL ABOUT HER? Because this is a different country, with different customs and cultures, and so many Americans go to the Philippines to meet someone, and they are so busy trying to make themselves look bigger and more important than there lady that the ROMANCE has gone out of it! In the Philippines, they have what is known as a “crab mentality”/ Which means building yourself up, at the expense of the other. Both the lady and her parents and family will be watching for this! (When a fisherman puts crabs he catches into a bucket, they will always try to pull itself to the top, bu pulling the others down. Hence, the phrase “crab mentality”).
Both she and her family already know you are from a nicer and more comfortable country and way of life. They also already know you have more money than they do. They dont need to be reminded of this… and dont always remind them how poor they are by saying, “in America… this and that.” By using HUMILITY and generosity, the family and parents will proudly declare that you are “Mabait”. (A good man). And you already know that Filipina (Pinay) make the best wives! (Of course you do, or you would not already be planning the trip there). In addition, the Philippines is one of the only countries in Asia where age does not matter, and most of the population also speaks English, as it’s second language!
THAT BEING SAID… LETS PLAN THE SUPER ENGAGEMENT DATE:
“KA FREDDIE’S” IS AFFORDABLE!! (If it is just you and your lady friend, I would suggest having 4,000 Pisos in your pocket. You may only use half of that, but who knows your drinking and eating habits better than you do? Remember the old saying, it is better to HAVE and not WANT, then to WANT and NOT HAVE!
In addition to being one of the most romantic places and experiences you can take your special lady and/or her family to, KA FREDDIE’s is one of the most affordable evenings you will ever find in Manila! And lets not forget that you will have live entertainment and great food! If possible, I strongly suggest you use the reservations number and book for a date that Freddie himself is playing. Believe me, short of walking on water, (You don’t do you?) this one evening with one of the Philippines BIGGEST and MOST FAMOUS SUPERSTARS of the Philippines, will make you so special in her eyes that it will be hard for you to do anything wrong in the eyes of your lady and/or her family the rest of your trip! (REMEMBER, in most cases, this may be the ONLY night club experience they may ever have in their lives! Let alone meeting a music icon.)
Being the wise man that you are (and you are), you can even set up the following evening’s reservations before you even leave the states. You can do this by utilizing the reservation information provided at KA FREDDIE’s official website.
Suggestions for going to KA FREDDIE’S:
(1) When making your reservation, tell them you were referred by his friend SONNY in California, from www.Philippine-Travelers.com. (The name Sonny is very common in Philippines, so remind the person making the reservation that it’s Sonny with the prosthetic leg baring his autograph);
(2) Before making the reservation, ask your lady if she would like a “stage-side” table. If she says yes (and she will), ask for that in your reservation;
(3) Before you leave the house or hotel for KA FREDDIE’s, ask your lady what the name of her favorite Freddie Aguilar song of all times is? Write (Print) it down on a piece of paper with both yours and her first names. Place this paper in your wallet or pocket till later. When you have some time alone, secretly write on another piece of paper these words: Freddie, we have just gotten engaged in KA FREDDIES this night, would you please play ___ (Name of her favorite song)___ and dedicate it to us? SALAMAT PO!! (Once you pull this off, this will ALWAYS be your/her official song!) (Even we have never met, I will guess she says either “Anak” or “Kumusia Ka”)
(4) Arrive by 9 PM, let HER choose her dinner from the menu, (since you probably dont speak Tagalog anyway and she will love pampering you), and enjoy the pre-shows. Freddie usually goes on about 10 PM. (When you call for your reservation, ask what time he does his set that evening.)
(5) While enjoying the pre-show/s, (here is the big one)… choose your own words carefully, and BRING OUT THE RING!! (Make it clear if this is a “promisory” or “engagement” ring). (Promisory being a pre-engagement ring)
(6) Once she says “YES” (and she will) you now secretly hand the paper you prepared in number three (3) above, to your table person and ask them to give it to Freddie before he starts his set on stage. (Now do you see why I said to be so gracious and polite to your table staff?) (And you WILL be! ha ha)
(7) Ask your table staff to please ask Freddie to announce your engagement and the song dedication from the stage! WOW! You just hit one out of the ball park!! If all goes as planned, this has just become one of the biggest evenings of her LIFE! (And it will, I promise!)
(8) Of course, you do not want her to ever forget this evening… (and she won’t), while you are there, tell the table staff you would like to purchase an AUTOGRAPHED CD and T-Shirt for her! Freddie will gladly make it out to her with her name (or both your names) in the autograph. (About 650 pisos at time of this writing). This is where you also consider purchasing an extra CD autographed and made out to HER PARENTS! (Let her choose the album with the most favorite songs of her parents! (and she will!)
(9) Enjoy the rest of your trip stud! And end it all by telling her you thought you would like to spend your despidita (going away) with a SECOND final night at KA FREDDIE’s again. (Even a blind man can see where this is going!)
(10) Hint: Despite Freddie’s being a true Super-Star, and very busy with his recordings, tours and even his own name-brand guitars, he is also a helpless romantic and very approachable! (Listen to his song entitled “Kumustaka”) . If you play your cards right, be very humble, you may tell him that Sonny suggested you ask if he will pose for a couple photos of the three of you together when he has a time opening before you leave. Be sure to also have a REGULAR flash camera ready for her! (And of course, being the genius you undoubtedly are, you will bring at least two disposable flash cameras with you, correct? (Sure you will!) If you develop the film and make the photos on your FIRST date there, then you can ask him to autograph them on the SECOND date! BINGO! You may not realize it, but in the Philippines this is equivelant to getting her a personalized remembrance from Elvis Presly, Willie Nelson or the Pope! (ha ha) I assure you that photo will be framed and posted for ALL to see that enter their house or business!
Remember to be polite to your table person, he/she can help you make this all happen. Be sure to leave a tip! This is no time to be Kuriput! (cheap) Also, ask your table staff for their name and write it down! When you make the second reservation ask for the same table staff if they are working that night.
LASTLY: Do not be surprised if you are greeted by, or waited on by a “small person” (Dwarfs and/or Midgets). The Hobbit House got it’s name from the Hobbits, in the Book or movie LORD OF THE RINGS. Freddie has many of the same people who were at the Hobbit House, now working at KA FREDDIE’S. It’s great! And I especially love seeing so many familiar faces at the new Venue.
GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS AND MABUHAY!
Please remember to let us know the results of your Engagement Dinner when you return to states.
oooooooo – 0 – oooooo
Be sure to check out our Official Website at:
FEEDBACK: As always, your comments, questions and/or suggestions are invited and greatly appreciated! Also, Should you have a “Philippine Based or Related” story you would like covered, please feel free to contact us! (Priority will be given to disability-related stories and comments, but all are welcome.). Questions and comments regarding guide and/or Immigration petition assistance are also welcome. We are also interested in great Pilipino foods! If you have a favorite Carenderia or restaurant you think makes the greatest dish, or, why do you believe your favorite hotel or resort in the Philippines is worth sharing? Let us know about it and what makes it excel.
We are also always searching for host families in the Philippines, for our reporters/verifiers to stay (usually just 2 or 3 days) , this allows us to save money, help host families, and be neutral in reporting since it saves us from having any fiduciary interest or link to the location/s we are reporting.. Dont worry about the size of your house, or even if it is finished, we are adaptable. Even Bahay Kubo or Dampa, we have seen and experienced it all! (Any and all Host family contacts or identification is strictly confidential.)